I got into bed at 1.37am last night and suddenly remembered that I hadn’t blogged and I was so annoyed at failing my daily blog habit so soon after starting it that I then lay awake for another hour or so trying to think how I could make this one the best blog I’d ever posted, just to make up for not doing it. Unfortunately, I then fell asleep and promptly forgot all those pearls of wisdom that had popped into my head during the wee small hours. Instead, I woke up with a headache and a vague sense of having forgotten something. So, my remedy for this is to blog about what I do when I can’t get to sleep:
Vic’s Get to Sleep Guide –
1. Keep a notepad by your bed to write down any of those pesky eye-opening thoughts that would otherwise bug you for hours.
2. Keep your feet warm! Bed socks are good or some easy yoga toe wiggling and ankle circling as well as pointing and flexing the feet.
3. ONE drop of lavender essential oil on your pillow or my lovely lavender-filled eye masks that we use in savasana. BTW – if you use more than one drop of lavender essential oil it actually starts to work as a stimulant and you will find it doesn’t help you sleep at all!
4. Tell your sleeping partner 3 things that you are grateful for today and listen to him/her tell their 3 things. Sharing positive thoughts before bed, rather than spilling your guts about all your problems, will help you drift off to a calm sleep, rather than fill your head with crazy dreams about what you might want to do to your boss/friend/child/pet/etc.
5. Breathe in and out through the nose and count down from 40 to 1. If you reach 1 you can then count back up again but I usually find I’ve drifted off long before I reach 20!
Hope this makes up for not blogging yesterday,